WHY CAULIFLOWER BURGERS
Cauliflower burgers are more interesting than cauliflower rice and it’s easier to make a meal from them too.
You can make them vegan if you like and they are also paleo. You don’t need a bread bun either if you put them with a salad and roasted vegetables. They are gluten free too so tick boxes all round for those problem eaters!
They are great for an easy, meat free meal. Make smaller ones for kids or for snacks with drinks in the evening.
INGREDIENTS FOR CAULIFLOWER BURGERS
To make 8 to 10 medium cauliflower burgers or cutlets you will need:
- 1 medium raw cauliflower grated up on the large side of the grater
- 1 medium red onion finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon each of fresh garlic and ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon of fresh chopped red chilli
- 1 tablespoon of almond meal (ground up almonds)
- 1 dessert spoon of tapioca flour (easy to get at Dubai supermarkets)
- 1 beaten egg
- salt and fresh black pepper (to taste)
- Some oil to first saute the cauliflower mince then a little more oil to shallow fry the burgers I use grapeseed oil, olive oil is also fine
- Fresh chopped coriander (around AED 1 in most Dubai supermarkets)
- Pomegranate seeds (makes your cauliflower burgers look pretty and easy to buy in Dubai all ready to use)
- Chilli oil or fresh chillies can be red or green
STEPS TO MAKE CAULIFLOWER BURGERS
PREPARE ALL YOUR INGREDIENTS
- Grate the cauliflower on the large side and put in a large mixing bowl, include some of the green leaves in your cauliflower mixture too, just chop them up
- Chop up the onion garlic and ginger
- Prepare your chilli if you’re using it
MAKE THE CAULIFLOWER MINCE
- Heat the oil in your wok
- Fry the onion till translucent and add the garlic, onion and ginger
- Add all the grated cauliflower and saute well add salt and pepper to taste
- Saute till the cauliflower smells cooked, but not till it’s soggy, remove from the heat and allow to cool
MAKE THE BURGER MIXTURE
When the cauliflower mixture is cool
- Add in a tablespoon of almond flour
- Add in a dessert spoon of tapioca flour
- Add in the beaten egg
- Mix this burger mixture well till it’s stiff enough to make patties. If you’re using the fresh pomegranate and coriander then add in at this time
- Shape the mixture into burger patties according to your preferred size
- Leave to cool in the fridge for about 20 minutes but that’s not strictly necessary, but makes them easier to fry
FRY YOUR BURGERS
- Heat your oil in a non stick frying pan
- Gently fry your burgers on both sides till golden brown. Remember there’s nothing much too cook, only the egg and to bring the whole mixture together, but it’s nice to get a golden colour on the burgers.
- When golden remove onto kitchen paper and keep warm in a low oven or serve immediately. Good with a carrot and spinach salad and some bread, or with roasted beetroot too and mashed avocado on the side. Try with sweet potato chips and rocket as in the picture above.
EQUIPMENT FOR CAULIFLOWER BURGERS
A cheese grater
A large bowl
A large wok to fry the cauliflower mince
A frying pan to fry the cauliflower burgers
Spoons to mix
NOTES AND VARIATIONS
Omit the egg and add in a little more tapioca flower if you want to make them vegan.
You can substitute breadcrumbs for almond meal if it’s easier. Makes your burgers cheaper too, but they won’t be gluten free.
Need more inspiration on what to cook for a tasty, easy meal? Then check out our recipe videos here.
sheeru jeep(Sheerin Deen in Instagram) says
Thank you for the wonderful Recipe. My kids will love Burgers.I will try this for Iftar during this holy month of Ramadan.