The new Rasoi Ghar Restaurant
Read my review, watch the video and answer a question to win a meal for 2. All DoinDubai Subscribers can enter.
THE FOOD AT RASOI GHAR
Rasoi Ghar opened in May 2015 and serves traditional Kathiawar vegetarian food from Western India. There is a menu that changes every day, in some respect, but the framework is basically a couple of small starters, like Rasiya Dhokla, followed by a huge variety of Indian vegetables. All the vegetables are either dry fried or curry style with gravy served in little bowls in a Thali style arrangement. For me the highlight of the meal was the freshly baked Indian breads that were made from freshly milled millet, sorghum and wholewheat flours. I loved the fact the portions were small and everything had a distinct taste. I really liked the fact the food wasn’t too spicy and their chutneys and pickles had a real home made look and taste.
GOOD TO KNOW ABOUT RASOI GHAR
- The thali type meals served at Rasoi Ghar are nothing like the South Indian thalis that are very popular here in Dubai. The food is completely different, but it’s still vegetarian. Green chillies, fenugreek and sesame are key ingredients in the cuisine
- Kathiawar is a region that is North of Mumbai but South of Rajasthan and the food is an interesting amalgamation of both regions.
- Rasoi Ghar would be a great choice if you had been shopping in Meena Bazaar or Bur Dubai and wanted to eat a really authentic, reasonably priced meal before heading home
THE AMBIENCE OF RASOI GHAR
Despite being located in Bur Dubai, the ambience of Rasoi Ghar is nothing like a typical Karama Cafe. It’s quite smartly decorated and the morning we visited it had a light and airy feel about it. The tables and chairs are not too close together either. That said, it doesn’t have an alcohol license.
THE LOCATION OF RASOI GHAR
Rasoi Ghar is located almost opposite the Bur Juman shopping center in Bur Dubai in a parade of small shops. Another landmark is the Park Regis Kris Kin hotel. There is some parking in front, but not much. You could drive to the right and try to find parking behind the restaurant.
It’s open from 12pm lunch time through till 11pm at night, but opens at 1. 30 pm on Friday as per Dubai Municipality rules.
The number is +971 4 388 5711 and their FACEBOOK page is up and ready.
COMPETITION TO WIN
DINNER FOR 2 AT RASOI GHAR
UPDATE 14th JUNE 2015 : This competition is now CLOSED! Thanks so much to everyone who took part, if you haven’t subscribed but have left a comment, I can’t enter you for the competition, so please do subscribe! Winner will be announced tomorrow! Good Luck!
To win dinner simply
- make sure you are a DoinDubai Subscriber (it’s FREE to subscribe) then
- leave me your answer to this question in the comments section of the site:
What is the name of the traditional Gujrati
steamed vegetarian starter
that looks a little like a yellow savoury cake square?
The ‘savoury cake square’ can be made from semolina or gram flour and is often garnished with curry leaves sizzled in oil; eaten with green chutney.
Watch the video to make sure you get it right!
I’ll let the Random Number Generator call the winner in 2 weeks. So on the 14th of June the competition will close with the winner being annouced within the week
WELL DONE TO JACI AND YASHNA WHO BOTH WON A DINNER FOR 2 AT RASOI GHAR ! And thanks to Rasoi Ghar for being very generous and offering us 2 prizes!