This lemon and courgette cake is so easy and quick to make AND a great way to disguise courgette!
It’s VERSATILE too as you can mix up the types of flour you have in your store cupboard or to suit your dietary preferences.
If you’re observing Ramadan then this is a super option to have for iftar or suhoor.
Just 3 EASY STEPS that require: weighing the ingredients, mixing the ingredients and then baking.
No one is going to guess you used courgette in this lemon and courgette cake.
EASY LEMON & COURGETTE CAKE
- 200g courgette roughly chopped up
- 90g of any sugar – I used coconut blossom sugar but you can use any sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon bicarbonate soda
- 110ml oil – I used olive oil
- 1 medium egg brought to room temperature
- 1 large lemon – zest and juice
- 200g flour – used plain/all purpose or try your own combination of ground foods: see note below.
The 200g flour mix I prefer to use
- 100g ground almonds
- 50g spelt flour
- 50g plain flour – I try to minimise the use of ‘white refined flour’.
- YOUR “FLOURS” NEED TO ADD UP TO 200 GRAMS.
How to Make
- Weigh out all the ingredients so they are ready for you to simply add to your mixer bowl
- Roughly chop the courgette
- Put everything into your food processor bowl
- Mix the ingredients until you have a cake mixture that resembles a thick but pourable batter
- Pour the mixture into a buttered oven proof serving dish
- Bake 180 deg C for 30 mins checking on it from time to time
Eat as it is or try it with some lemon zest and a little sugar mixed into some creme fraiche or Greek yoghurt if you’re serving as a dessert.
I have also served it with a spoon of natural keffir, also delicious.
This recipe was adapted from one I saw first on Mix Fix Cook.
This is how you can HALF the sugar used in the recipe
I have also tried replacing 100 of courgette with 1 banana, so still total of 200g combined, but then I am able to REDUCE THE SUGAR by almost half as banana is quite sweet.
Try replacing almost HALF THE OIL WITH NATURAL KEFFIR yoghurt.
I like the one from The Collective UK I can buy it at my local Waitrose in Dubai too.
See our instagram reel connected to this cake.
Great with a cup of much lower caffeine mushroom coffee
This one is also great for Ramadan or a quick dessert for anytime that can be made in advance.
Chocolate mousse with coffee Click for the recipe.