An easy Chocolate Cake Recipe
We’ve all got our favourite chocolate cake recipe, but this one is new for me and the best I’ve tried for a while now. Everyone who’s eaten it loves it and has asked for the recipe so here it is!
Make it and send me a picture of how it turns out, do let me know your variations as well.
I’ll publish the most interesting ones at the end of this post! The ingredients are pretty easy to get in any country so I reckon you could make it just about anywhere, anytime.
Use it for a dinner party dessert, a coming home treat or a midnight snack! You could use a thermomix but you don’t have to. I didn’t, a hand mixer or even a wooden spoon works just fine!
Ingredients for the Chocolate Cake Recipe
- 3 ripe but not too ripe bananas mashed up in a bowl
- 1 medium egg beaten up
- 150 grams of butter melted
- 120 grams of plain flour
- 30 grams of spelt flour (I use wholemeal spelt flour, makes it a bit easier to digest as it’s lower in gluten)
- 1 teaspoon bircarbonate of soda
- 60 grams brown sugar (this is half the quantity of the original recipe!)
- 30 grams cocoa (I use Cadbury’s)
- 60 grams good quality chocolate chips, I use Hersheys, for the top of the cake
- 100 grams of your favourite dark chocolate (I use 1 bar of 70% Lindt plain chocolate) broken up into small pieces
You’ll also need a loaf tin lined with greaseproof paper.
Chocolate Cake Recipe Method
There are 2 basic mixtures you have to get ready, a dry mix and a wet mix for this chocolate cake recipe. But first turn on your oven set to 180 degrees C so it’s ready for the cake to go in.
- Mash the bananas in a large bowl
- Add the melted butter and the beaten egg to the bananas and mix well
- Add the sugar to this mixture
- Sift in the flours with the bicarbonate of soda to the same bowl
- Add the cocoa powder and mix in
- Add the chocolate pieces, stir through
- Pour the thick, batter type mix into your lined loaf tin, I didn’t grease mine first, but do use the paper to come up the sides.
- Sprinkle over the chocolate chips on top
- Bake at 180 degrees for about 55 minutes
- Remove from oven, if a sharp knife comes out clean, it’s ready, if not, leave a bit longer, but watch if from now on. Remove from the oven and serve as you like
- Watch it disappear fast!
Original Recipe came from
The original inspiration for this recipe came from trying it at a friend’s house in the Arabian Ranches in June 2017. She got hers from a Facebook Page called Desert Mixers, it’s a private page run by another friend of mine. Here’s the link to the original recipe, but I’ve CHANGED mine and really like the result.
I used half the amount of sugar, and substituted some of the flour with spelt, I think next time I make this I’ll use 50 grams of spelt flour and 100 of plain flour. I had no idea what a chocolate melt was as required in the original recipe so I guessed (wrongly as it turned out) but the result was perfect, so it was a good guess!
Hope yours turns out perfect too! Let me know in a comment and send a picture with the subject line CHOCOLATE CAKE RECIPE to info at doindubai.com
Happy Eating everyone, great for an Iftar treat during Ramadan or great for a special family Eid meal later this month.