I first made this Freekeh and Quinoa easy vegetarian meal about a year ago in lockdown and have been making it every since! It’s quick, the freekeh and lentils boil and become tender very fast. So you don’t have to plan too much ahead. You can serve it warm or cold for a picnic. If you’re feeding vegans then omit the cheese or add some vegan cheese. The trick is to add flavour to these quick cooking, very nutritious basics. If you have a THERMOMIX, then the dressing is a doddle! We use our Air Fryer for quickly roasting the cherry tomatoes.
An EASY Vegetarian Dish
- 1 packet of quick cook freekeh and quinoa
- 1 cup of brown lentils
- few slices of fresh ginger
- your favourite seasonings
- feta cheese cubes marinaded in chilli oil
- 1 to 2 cups of fresh herbs eg coriander, mint, parsley
- good slug of olive oil and a teaspoo of Dijon mustard
- Handful of cherry tomatoes roasted with some herbs and salt and pepper
- Have a large fine mesh sieve and bowl handy for draining both the lentils and grains
- The herby dressing is a doddle in a THEROMMIX if you have one, else a food processor is fine.
How to make
- Separately boil the lentils and the grain mix, the grain mix takes about 10 mins, the lentils about twenty
- Drain both over a bowl, I use the liquid from the lentils as a soup base for later
- When you boil the lentils add salt and a few pieces of fresh ginger, just salt for the grain mix
- While the lentils and grains are cooling, make the dressing
- Put your herbs, olive oil, salt, pepper, little chilli and the mustard, maybe add a little water into a processor, blitz up.
- Mix the lentils and grains in a large bowl, pour over the dressing and mix
- Then add on the cheese cubes and roasted cherry tomatoes